Monday, January 22, 2007

Science blogger a career?

A sure sign any geek can make it on nature.com ;) , some guy named "Bora Zivkovic" was so sick of experiments not working, he quit before writing his thesis and did full-time blogging. He was burnt out and unmotivated (sounds familiar?). Now finally realises blogging is not really a career, begs to be accepted back in a lab while crying himself to sleep every night (he studies circadian rythms). However he got something out of it: he wrote a book about the best writing in science blog in 2006, which fails to mention the bayblab, but probably earned him more than his stipend. From the nature news article: "For almost three years, I didn't write my dissertation. I recently went back to it and read it. Oh my God, how could I write like this? Such dry science-ese! I now write much better. Three years of writing a blog really improves your writing.". My thesis is gona kick ass then.


2 comments:

Bora Zivkovic said...

Oh, the experimens worked great! And no begging to get back in the old lab. Just finish writing up the thesis, turning it into 4 kick-ass papers (and a review afterwards), and continuing with a postdoc. I did not think the Nature article intended to make the story look so dim.

Admin said...

Nice post. Really liked it..
Don't forget to update it regularly.
I am looking for new updates dieing to read more stuff from you ..
-------------------------------


JOB-HUNT
Aims at helping the Fresh Graduates, Engineers, MBAs to get jobs in good companies
http://jobgame.blogspot.com