Monday, November 02, 2009

Brain Teasers

Found these in an article about how IQ is overrated: First one to get all 3 right gets a pat on the back.

"When researchers put the following three problems to 3400 students in the US, only 17 per cent got all three right. Can you do any better?

1) A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2) If it takes five machines 5 minutes to make five widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3) In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of it?
"

and


"Jack is looking at Anne, and Anne is looking at George; Jack is married, George is not. Is a married person looking at an unmarried person?"
yes/no/insufficient information


7 comments:

Kamel said...

What do we get if we solve all 4?

I have my answers, but I won't post them since they're obviously right and don't want to spoil the game.

I like that last teaser the best.

Anonymous said...

I also have the correct four... Where to find the answers :). Maybe even look at the article...

Anonymous said...

OK.
I'm sure about the first 3. However I don't get the last one. I'm going with insufficient information.

Anonymous said...

I think the correct answers are:

1) $0.05
2) 5 minutes
3) 47 days
4) yes

I'm guessing that the incorrect answers are: 1) $0.10 2) 100 minutes 3) 24 days 4) insufficient information

Do I get a pat on the back?

Anonymous Coward said...

you are the winner!
To collect your $50M prize send your social security number and a copy of your birth certificate to:

Bayblab Corp
Lagos, Nigeria
110102

Anonymous said...

EXPLAIN THE LAST ONE TO ME!

Anonymous Coward said...

I know, I didn't get it either, but Anne can be married or unmarried, either way a married person is looking at an unmarried person.