Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dick in a dish

The team lead by Dr. Anthony Atala at the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine as been highlighted on the bayblab before for growing a functioning bladder in a dish. Well they outdid themselves this time by growing a functioning rabbit penis in a dish, and grafting it back on males which conceived with it. Think of the possibilities! The paper is not yet available on pubmed but there is an article here about the discovery:

"Dr Atala's team first created a scaffold using the penis of a rabbit, and removed all the living cells from it, leaving only cartilage. They then took a small piece of tissue from the penis of another rabbit and grew the cells in a lab dish. Dr Atala says the work has taken his team 18 years to complete. "We had to find the right growth factors, the right soup to grow the cells in," he said."

Of note to our female readers, he has also been successful in growing clitoral tissues in the past.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It also took 18y for mine to reach full size...

Anonymous said...

I would hate to walk into the lab early one morning before coffee, sleepily put my cell culture dish under the microscope and be staring at rabbit penis. Even if I had been working on it for 18years, I still think I would loose my breakfast.

Anonymous Coward said...

Actually that reminds me of when I started working in my lab, squishing rat ovaries very early in the morning. I'm not much of a morning person to begin with, and it struck me that my "work" was rather odd compared to normal people who have coffees in their cubicles.

Anonymous said...

4:16: If it takes 18y for yours to reach full size, you really need a new girlfriend.