Monday, May 22, 2006

Surviving the Juan de Fuca Trail





Just a little hello from the other side of Canada. We've just completed the trail and surprisingly we both survived it. 47 km of crazy ups and downs through the old growth temperate rain forest for five days, 4-7h of walking, going from beach to beach. With very little food to spare, I've grown fond of the mussels peppered over the rocks out here. We saw bald eagles, seals, minks, and a bear. But the most impressive are those massive trees. Suprisingly there are all kinds of different forest ecosystems, and when one of those giants falls, they are soon covered with new sapplings. We were lucky that we only got rain on the last day. Some TC bags and duct tape made our bags waterproof. My knees hurt, my shoulders are sore, but I loved every minute of it...


2 comments:

Bayman said...

Nice. Ottawa sucks.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they'll find a grizzly-binders hybrid.