Saturday, August 04, 2007

Quote of the Week

This week's quote is anti-chicken soup for the soul, a particularly devastating kick-in-the-balls and slap-in-the-face to the modern scientist. Naturally I have to share it:

"What could be cruder than a human being, who is limited to a narrow area of knowledge and practice and has the naivety of a child in most other areas? This is one of the elements that accounts for our clinical state of unconsciousness."

John Ralston Saul, The Unconscious Civilization (1995 Massey Lectures)

Trying to think of a clever analogy to swarm behavior, but my narrow and naive mind fails me...


Anonymous said...

pretty useless post.

Bayman said...

Good to see actual scientists read the bayblab. Actually I should point out that I may have slightly narrowed the focus of Saul's comments - he wasn't criticizing scientist or any profession specifically, but all of Western civilization.