Friday, April 27, 2007

Candiru



If you watched Grey's Anatomy last night you've probably seen the penis fish. You're also probably a girl. What they left out of the explanation, is that the Vandellia cirrhosa is in fact just as happy to swim up a vagina, or in fact any opening/orifice. It is a type of parasitic catfish that usually lodges itself in the gills of other fish and feeds on their blood. There is no reported case in pubmed, other than it is a gift to urology (?), but natives living on the amazon fear it (understandably so). However, reports of the fish swimming in the urine stream into the penis outside of the water are an urban legend. But if you are submerged , then beware. I'm scared of channel catfish myself...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You're my penis fish."
Great line.

Anonymous said...

Ouch, But i dont think that is a Candiru. The Tooth Pick Fish is tiny....hence its nickname...that is obviously not a candiru...but good show...^_^

Anonymous said...

I live in the Amazon region, and stories about this fish is very famous, many are afraid of him.
I have also seen this fish on mountains, I live in the porto velho- rĂ´ndonia and there is a place called the cachoira Teotonio, where the probability of fish cadiru is very large.
of all the times I went fishing with my father then I just managed to catch this fish, and personally he is very weird and pretty ugly ... hihihhi

muebles en aranjuez said...

It can't really have success, I suppose like this.